The club struggled to get a standing team in the initial five years of its existence because most of the players worked in government organisations and were transferred from Kumasi. This resulted in the handlers renaming it to ‘Kumasi Titanics.’ The club’s fortunes did not improve forcing the handlers to, once again, change the name to ‘Mighty Atoms’ in 1934.
Things remained the same until Mr. J.S.K. Frimpong, a teacher at the then Kumasi Government School, who had all the time shown interest in the club, in 1935, organised some men from his school and proposed a change of name from “Kumasi Titanics” to Kumasi Asante Kotoko Football Club.
In the tradition of Ashanti Kingdom, which Kumasi is the capital, ‘Kotoko’ which is the native name for ‘Porcupine’ is the official symbol of the traditional authority. Permission thus had to be taken from Asantehene, Nana Sir Osei Agyeman Prempeh II before the club could use the name.
The permission was granted and the club was drafted under the traditional authority with Sir Osei Agyemang Prempeh becoming the first Life Patron. This paved the way for the official formation of Asante Kotoko.
We play our home games at the Baba Yara Stadium, a state-owned 40,000 capacity stadium located at Asokwa in Kumasi.
Asante Kotoko’s emblem symbolizes the national emblem of the Ashanti Kingdom with the colours black, green, and yellow. The emblem features a remarkably threatening-looking hedgehog and the motto: ‘Kum Apem a, Apem Beba”, which means “Kill a thousand, and a thousand more will come”, symbolising the unyielding fighting spirit of the people of the Asante Kingdom.